Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Great Expectations …

So this cycle (my third) of chemotherapy began with great expectations. I'm now up to 6 different anti-nausea medications and guinea hen weed tea from Jamaica thanks to Stacey's mum. I'm happy to say that I made it through the week without vomiting. Unfortunately my nausea and lack of appetite seemed to last a few days longer. I guess it's a trade-off. I also welcomed a new symptom, fatigue. I didn't recognize it at first. Just thought I was lazy, but then all attempts to battle my laziness failed. With it I am losing weight and muscle. NOT a happy camper.
anti-nausea medication
anti-nausea pills
I was able to visit a capoeira group near Minneapolis on Tuesday (day six) and even able to play in the roda although I found myself nearly blacking out after a minimum of exertion. One student there, a nurse, was quite worried that I was playing with my surgically implanted port, but I assured her that I would stay out of knife fights and play with caution.
Visiting Capoeira Omulu near Minneapolis
After capoeira I took Marcello to see my childhood home and elementary school. Of course he was ecstatic. <insert sarcasm here> but he did enjoy the pan pizza at my old college hangout, Green Mill.
my childhood home in the St. Paul suburb of Maplewood.
having the "famous" green mill pan pizza in St. Paul with my son
So as I prepare for cycle 4 and the prospect of more fatigue, I've had to tamper my great expectations. I'm making a plan for a very simple exercise routine that I may be able to do even during the darkest days. A few pull-ups, a few push ups, some jump rope, walking. It's not what I had hoped for, but realizing this is a temporary situation, I want to avoid losing any more weight or any more muscle. Hoping for the best, but hankering down for the storm ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Site